Saturday, December 03, 2011

Moderate?

I was reminded of this quote this morning:
Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important.
C.S. Lewis
On reflection, and I think this is probably true for the vast majority of people who consider this quote, I think that I live as if Christianity and Christ were moderately important. I know many people who live as if it was of no importance, and hardly anyone who live as if it was of immense importance.

I suppose that is part of all the questioning I've been going through on this blog. I know I'm in the untenable moderate middle ground, and I need to find the reasons to jump one way or the other...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. What do you think it would/should look like if it was immense importance?

Sipech said...

I wouldn't use the word "untenable."

I think "honest" is a better description.

Ricky Carvel said...

Its 'untenable' with regard to the CS Lewis quote. Lewis says it 'cannot be' moderate...