Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Itching ears...

2 Timothy 4v3-4
For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.
As I said in my past blog posting, I've been listening to a lot of sermons from The Meeting House church in Canada over the past few weeks. The majority of these are preached by Bruxy Cavey, author of the book I just finished reading, The End of Religion. An excellent book which everyone should read (but more on that in another posting, soon). I'm highly impressed with his preaching and on the way he approaches the bible, Jesus, religion and church. Its great to find a preacher who is interesting, relevant, doesn't shy away from the tricky issues (both in contemporary life and in the bible) and seems to have a real passion for Jesus, while actually agreeing with many of my doubts and questions.

The thing is, have I just found someone who preaches what my itching ears want to hear? Or have these guys got it right? How can you tell?

No comments: