Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Lazarus: The saga continues...

You should probably read this post: "Lazarus" and this one: "Lazarus part two: the gospel" before you read on...

In the second of those posts, I prefaced the main post with this statement:
"Before I summarise this big doubt, I'll state up-front that this is one of those fantastic doubts that it really doesn't matter what you end up believing on the issue. If conventional belief is wrong on this point, nothing changes, nobody loses salvation and we don't really get any new revelation of understanding about God or Jesus. But maybe we get an interesting bit of detective work and a little bit more truth than we had before."

You know, on reflection, I figure that it actually does matter who wrote the fourth gospel. Reading the gospel possibly not according to John with the thought that it was written by Lazarus himself makes you read it in a totally different light... Probably more thoughts to come on this once I've considered the implications a bit more...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think someone told me Lazarus went on to become an early Bishop of somewhere or other, I wonder if any of his other writings survived?